You have a gun and you’ve got the permit. Now, all you need is a safe – a gun safe. Even if you have a carry permit, a lot of places prohibit guns like schools, churches, malls, banks, federal buildings and other private businesses. Having a portable gun safe in your car can secure your gun while you leave your car to go to places you have to go.
You don’t want to leave your firearm unprotected inside your car. It’s either you get caught with a gun inside a gun-free zone or leave it at risk of being stolen. Also, if you’re a sensible gun owner, you wouldn’t simply stash your gun in your car’s glove compartment or under the driver’s seat, especially if you also have kids riding your car. It’s always best to opt for a more concrete and safe solution.
Here are some of the best handgun safes you can choose from for your cars and trucks:
Best Handgun Safes for Trucks and Cars
Where to Buy
The Snapsafe Treklite Lock Box is a lightweight and travel-friendly gun safe. While most gun safes are made of steel, this one’s made of an impact-resistant polycarbonate. It’s a bold choice, but most customers say it does the job perfectly well. It just weighs 2.4 pounds and it comes with a 1500-lb rated steel security cable included in the box, allowing you to easily secure it in a fixed part of your vehicle.
The safe can be secured using a standard lock and key. Its interior includes a thick protective foam on all sides to prevent scratches. This safe is TSA-approved, making it safe and suitable not only for land ravel but also for air.
- TSA approved
- Lightweight and travel-friendly
- Comes with a steel security cable to assist anchoring
- Perfect size for car storage with sufficient space for a handgun and ammunition
- People used to owning steel safes might be unimpressed with an innovative polycarbonate=
If portability is your main concern, the GunVault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe is your great choice. Its slim design makes it small enough to fit under any driver’s seat of a car. It uses a digital, no-eyes combination locking system, which means you don’t need to look at a number pad to enter your combination. You only need to position your four fingers to the finger slots built-in to the keypad so you can easily open your safe without looking. The design of the lock makes it impossible to open with tools. Also provided are backup keys that ensure you can access the safe in case you forgot the combination or the battery runs out before you can replace it.
The body of the safe is made of a 20-gauge steel housing and a soft foam interior. It’s compact but it has enough space for a small handgun like a .9mm, with room for an extra magazine. It includes a steel security cable so you can anchor them in your car.
- Slim and compact design
- Uses quick-access, digital keypad
- 20-gauge steel housing with soft foam interior
- Comes with 5-year warranty for fire and burglary
- Comes with a steel security cable
- Battery life can vary
One of the sturdiest handgun safes, Fort Knox PB1 Handgun Safe is built from a strong 10-gauge steel protected by a 3/16” tamper-resistant, wrap-around door. It has the integrity of a large gun safe in a compact design, making it impossible to break into. It has tamper-resistant hinges that add extra protection with a compressed gas strut that makes access convenient, besides its sturdy construction. Its interior is lined with a soft yet sturdy foam to prevent scratches and damages to firearms. It’s completely mechanical and contains no electrical parts.
It uses a smooth and reliable, 5-digit push-button mechanical locking mechanism that allows a total of 1081 possible combinations. The tamper-resistant hinges add extra protection. It has plenty of rooms for two handguns.
- 10-gauge steel is extremely strong
- Fast-action combination lock makes authorized entry quick and easy
- Enough room for two handguns
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Doesn’t need batteries
- No security cable
- Heavy and a bit bulky compared to other handgun car safe options
A portable and TSA-compliant gun safe, GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200 is perfect for armed travelers. This safe has a lightweight and very compact design safe for your vehicle. It comes with an easy-to-operate key lock system that allows quicker access than a combination lock would. The safe comes with two keys, so it’s best to keep your spare key safely tucked away.
The body of the safe is constructed with 18-gauge steel and memory foam inserts on the interior to prevent scratches. It comes with a 1500 lb. cable so you can anchor the safe to a stationary part in your car.
- Compact and lightweight (only weighs 3 lbs.)
- Uses a key lock mechanism, no need for batteries
- Comes with a security cable
- Affordable price point
- Locking system make it easier for others to break in your safe, so you must always keep your key with you
- You always need to keep your key ready at hand in case of emergencies
- Some reviewers say foam has a bad odor
One of the most technologically-advanced portable handgun safe, Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe Bluetooth Smart Pistol Safe uses biometric access and smartphone app integration to operate the safe. For fast and reliable access, a high-resolution biometric scanner is used to unlock the safe. This scanner can store up to 20 unique fingerprints. You can manage the safe through its smartphone app, where you can check who has opened the safe and when, check battery power levels, unlock the safe remotely and adjust settings. It connects to your smartphone through its reliable Bluetooth encryption. Besides these, you also have the option to use an illuminated numeric keypad or backup master key.
The tough and rugged nature of the safe makes it stand out. Its 16-gauge carbon steel construction makes it durable, as carbon steel is stronger than conventional steel. Also, its powder-coat finish prevents corrosion. Inside, it has mounted hinges and security brackets, working together with its anti-pry bars and two-point anti-impact latches as anti-theft features. Its interior LED lighting lets you see inside during low light times.
- Quick access via biometric fingerprint scanner
- Allows smartphone interaction via Bluetooth
- Backup keypad and master key option
- Anti-pry bars, interior mounted hinges and security brackets
- 16-gauge carbon steel body
- Interior LED lighting
- A bit bulky compared to other handgun car safes
The Gunbox 2.0, which claims to be the smartest quick access gun safe, is another safe that goes for a more high-tech approach. This one uses both a biometric fingerprint scanner and RFID technology. The biometric fingerprint scanner can store up to 100 different fingerprints, and for an additional fee, you can add an RFID ring to access your safe via RFID. It also includes two key fobs and two access cards. You can also control this safe through a SafeTech smartphone app after connecting your safe through Bluetooth. This app can allow you to adjust fingerprint sensitivity, enable password requirements or change alarm sounds. Yes, this safe makes an alarming sound if moved while locked, thanks to its tamper-proof technology.
This safe comes with a rechargeable battery that can last up to 18 months, but it can also be plugged in using one of its two USB ports. It’s slightly wider than the Gunvault MV500-STD, but it can also fit easily underneath the seat of your car. Because it’s techy, it looks like something that top secret agents like James Bond use.
- Quick access via biometric fingerprint scanner and RFID
- Allows smartphone interaction via Bluetooth
- Alarm sounds if moved while locked
- 18-month battery life
- Sleek and techy design
- Can be anchored with security cable or bolted down
- FAA approved
- You have to do some adjustments to make sure you don’t set the alarm by accident
- Reliance on tech makes it dependable on batteries
- Security cable or bolts for mounting not included
The sturdy construction of Bulldog Case Car Safe with Key Lock makes it a great value gun safe. It is made of a heavy-duty 18-gauge steel, finished in matte black and has a scratch-resistant interior. It comes with a mounting bracket and steel security cable to keep the safe stationary when placed in a moving vehicle. You can securely mount the bracket in an easy-to-access location where you can slide the safe in and out of the bracket, or use the steel cable to anchor the safe instead.
This safe has a small and compact design yet spacious enough to store a handgun and extra ammunition. It uses a simple key-lock mechanism for quick access. When the safe is locked, it cannot be removed from the mounting bracket, which gives you confidence when leaving your handgun in your car.
- Compact and lightweight (only weighs 4 lbs.)
- Uses a simple key-lock mechanism
- No need for batteries
- Can be used with a mounting bracket that improves ease of access
- Mounting hardware and accessories included
- 18-gauge steel may not be strong enough for some gun owners
- Key-lock mechanism can be broken in easier
SnapSafe Keyed Lock Box is a tough, compact safe that is built with pry-resistant technology built in to provide security. It’s made of a heavy-duty 16-gauge steel housing and four thick protective foam on the inside. This safe meets TSA airline firearm guidelines, making it perfect to use for traveling with a firearm.
The safe uses a simple key-lock mechanism, and comes with a 1500 lb.-rated security cable for easy anchoring within your car. It has plenty of room for your handgun, ammo and other valuables like jewelry, passport and some cash.
- Compact, smart and pry-resistant design
- Comes with a steel cable
- Affordable price
- 16-gauge steel may not be strong enough for some gun owners
- Key-lock mechanism can be broken in easier
- No mounting options besides the cable
Best Rifle Safes for Trucks and Cars
Where to Buy
A handy trunk safe, SnapSafe 75405 is perfect for people looking for a large-capacity travel safe made to fit in the trunk of passenger cars and SUV’s. This trunk safe is large enough to accommodate a variety of handguns and rifles, including scoped rifles. It can be opened and locked using a digital lock that can be programmed with two different 3- to 8-digit access codes. The recessed opening panels make it pry-resistant.
The body of the trunk is constructed with 13-gauge steel and fitted with a 6-gauge steel door. The internal hinges were installed with premium gas shocks to allow safe swing-opening of the top door. The bottom interior side is lined with egg crate-pattern foam padding to protect firearms. It comes with a 3- foot cable for anchoring to a stationary part of your vehicle. The unit is also pre-drilled so you can permanently mount it to the interior of a trunk.
- Large storage
- Digital lock with key backup
- Premium gas shocks provide smooth and safe operation of the heavy steel
- Pry-resistant door
- Comes with cable for anchorin
- Pre-drilled at the bottom for permanent installation
- Too big for car trunks
- Does not come with mounting hardware
If you’re all about fast and easy access and being prepared in case an intruder breaks in, SecureIt Tactical FB-40-01 Fast Box Vehicle Gun Safe is a great option for a rifle safe. This is a simple gun safe designed to hold one long rifle, as it comes with two tie-down, quick-release straps for safe keeping when transporting with the safe. The interior is padded to keep your gun protected as the vehicle moves. It’s designed to be bolted to the floor under a bed, but it’s also perfect for SUVs, boats or RVs for avid hunters, shooters and adventurers on the go.
The body of the safe is made with heavy-duty, all-welded steel, with a recessed, full-piano hinge door with 3-point locking system. You can access the safe through an electronic keypad or its backup key lock. With its depth of 13”, you can store firearms with scopes and magazines still attached.
- Strapped storage makes traveling with a rifle convenient
- Deep interior can let you store gun with magazines and scopes still attached
- Electronic keypad lock with key backup
- Too lightweight for some
- Limited storage; can only store one rifle
Snapsafe Padlock Trunk Safe for Vehicles is a rifle safe designed for keeping valuable items like rifles in the trunk of your car, SUV, RV or truck. It has an efficient space-saving design that can store multiple items at the same time. Besides firearms, you can also store your electronics, documents, cash, jewelry, tools and other valuable items. It is made of a sturdy 75 lb. steel, featuring non-slip feet, internal hinges and premium gas shocks for light and safe operation.
Unlike other safes in this list, this one is locked with a heavy-duty padlock included. It also comes with a 3 foot 1,500 lb. security cable for tethering in a stationary part of your vehicle.
- Versatile and space-saving storage
- Comes with a security cable
- Has non-slip feet, premium gas shocks and internal hinges
- Not specially designed as a gun safe; this is more of a general protection for your valuable items
- Can store only small rifles
- Padlock lock is not as secure as compared to other locking systems
As the name suggests, SnapSafe Under Bed Safe 75400 is made for use under the bed but can also be used in a vehicle with a flat storage area that is level with the tailgate. It looks like a pull-out drawer like those found in dressers and nightstands, but gives a tough look due to its steel body. It is constructed of 14-gauge steel throughout with a layer of felt on the bottom to protect firearms from scratches. Because of its drawer-like appearance, it can fit at least two long guns and two handguns with room for bullets and ammo.
To provide security, this safe can be opened using an electronic keypad secured with a 3- to 8-digit code. It also provides a traditional key locking mechanism for backup. The doors are pry-resistant to keep your kids and unauthorized users from gaining access. Also included is a 3” thick cable to secure the safe to a steady part of the car.
- Large, drawer-like storage compartment
- 14-gauge steel body
- Digital lock with key backup
- Comes with cable for anchoring
- Pry resistant doors
- Inconvenient keyhole tucked behind a piece of metal
- Drawer slides can end on the flimsier side
Naming itself as the world’s fastest opening shotgun safe, Gun Casket Fast Opening Shotgun Safe opens in seconds, giving you immediate access to your firearm when you need it. Its fast-opening lock is disengaged by a 10-digit electronic lock, and you only need to set 4-6 digit codes.
Outside, the safe is made of anodized aluminum that doesn’t rust. Inside, it’s fitted with a cushion to keep your firearm from scraping against the aluminum. At 50” long, this safe can hold most standard shotguns with some room left for pistol or shells. The body is also narrow and compact, making it easy to transport in the trunks of vehicles.
- Quick access keypad
- Safe door swings open instantly
- Compact and easy to bring during travel
- Non-rusting anodized aluminum body
- Because it’s not made of steel, it may not be preferred by gun enthusiasts
- Too narrow for some rifles; a shotgun with pistol grip will not likely fit
- No pre-drilled holes or steel cable included
AMSEC DV652 Defense Vault Under The Bed Gun Safe is a safe you can install under your bed or bring with you as you travel. It features AMSEC’s new ESL5 electronic lock with illuminated keypad. The bright backlit keys can let you enter your code even when it’s dark.
The body of the safe is made of 14-gauge steel with a unique 5-point locking bar. Inside, it also features a foam-padded slide out gun tray to keep your firearms from getting scratched. There are also 4 pre-cut holes complete with mounting hardware.
- Quick-access ESL5 electronic lock with illuminated keypad
- Foam-padded slide-out gun tray
- Made of 14-gauge steel
- Has 4 pre-cut anchor holes with mounting hardware
- Doesn’t come with steel cable
The V-Line Model 31242-SA Rifle Case is designed for mounting on the wall, but its compactness and presence of a Velcro strap makes it suitable for bringing in with your vehicle. The body of the safe is made of 16-gauge steel with 1/16” thickness, and is lined with foam in the interior to protect your firearms. It has a Velcro strap to keep firearm in place. It’s compact yet spacious enough to keep one of two rifles or long guns stored away.
This safe is fitted with a manual Simplex type combination lock that allows you to choose from 1081 possible combinations. In addition to that, it’s also fitted with 2 tubular locks at the top and bottom of the case for additional level of security. It can be mounted as it comes with several ¼” diameter holes at the back of the safe.
- Manual combination lock removes the need for batteries
- Additional tubular locks for added security
- Made of 16-gauge steel
- Has Velcro straps to keep guns in place as you travel
- Has pre-drilled holes
- Doesn’t come with a steel cable
- Specifically designed for home use